30 June 2006

Rearview mirror

The week here has been filled with taking care of everyday things which I will write about in another post with pictures but I haven't taken the pictures of all of those little things yet.
And I wanted to show a little bit of my journey from Victoria to Ankara as it has been a journey with many stops.

Before driving from Victoria to Denver, my Dad and I went kayaking in Brentwood Bay - I love the purple starfish there. In my mind leisure time in Victoria will always be synonymous with purple starfish (and homemade wine!).

The place to rent a kayak from there is Brentwood Bay Lodge. Then paddle out to see the starfish!

Along the drive to Colorado, my Dad and I happened to stay in a town called Cascade Locks along the Hood River. It was a great little town and had a bar on the main drag called the Salmon Row Pub - they had the most excellent smoked salmon appetizer there. I would like to spend more time in that area sometime - it looked like a beautiful place to explore.

Then it was back to sunny Colorado for a spell. Below is a picture of the Yucca in bloom

I had one marvelous adventure in Boulder while I was there...Peter gave me a gift of a glider flight for my birthday! That is me below in the glider just after I have landed. The glider was towed up to about 5,000 feet and then the pilot flew over the Flatirons in search of thermals - we climbed to about 10,000 feet! I was allowed to take control of the glider three times. The first time was the scariest as I made the nose dip...I did a bit better after that just going straight and not changing the level of the plane at all. It was very beautiful and quiet in the glider and I had never seen Boulder or Colorado from that perspective! It was lovely!

After some time in Colorado we visited some family in Ohio and Michigan. Here are some fish in my Aunt's pond.

We also dropped off Chama-cat there. This was very sad but I thought it was best for her to stay stateside. Here she is on the balcony over the grape arbor at here new digs.

So there is a look in the rearview mirror of this sojourn in Ankara!

4 comments:

Robin said...

What a nice picture of Chama. She will be well loved with your Aunt. What an awesome experience to go in a glider!! That is something you will remember forever.

If you ever get a chance to explore Washington/Oregon let me know and I will be right there with you. I spend a weekend in Portland many years ago (just me and my dog) and drove along the gorge to Mt. Hood - very beautiful!

I hope you guys have a great weekend - I am going to enjoy the fireworks, but without you this year. I'll think of you! Have a little Canada Day celebration tomorrow for your friends here in Canada. :) R.

Robin said...

I am jealous of you flying in a glider....and flying in it. Of all my years in aviation I never got to fly...or even be in a glider.

As for your blog, I am greedy and want more ..... I guess we have to live vicariously. As Craftbird might have said to you, the weather here is beautiful and the homemade wine an purple starfish, as well as the Oscar-cat, miss you. Take care and send cheers to your Brit.

-A

Robin said...

I am jealous of you flying in a glider....and flying it. Of all my years in aviation I never got to fly...or even be in a glider.

As for your blog, I am greedy and want more ..... I guess we have to live vicariously. As Craftbird might have said to you, the weather here is beautiful and the homemade wine, the purple starfish, as well as the Oscar-cat, miss you. Take care and send cheers to your Brit.

-A

Carley said...

Thanks Robin and A. for your comments - we'll definetly try to make a trip to Oregon for a rendezvous if we don't see you in Turkey next summer :)