11 July 2006

In the Mediterranean Style

Our 4 lira houseplant from Pratiker has a new leaf! I was a little worried about why she might have been so inexpensive but in a new pot and sitting in the window sill she seems well...


I suspect that it might be she is celebrating the arrival of the bottled ginger beer! Peter has bottled the ginger beer and after it started fizzing (as shown in this picture), we squeezed out the excess air and screwed the lids on very tight. Now, all the ginger beer is wrapped in plastic bags and is in the rubbish bin in case it explodes...
Speaking of beer and food, since that is mainly what life consists of (except for working which right now is being done but at odd hours of the day as I remotely log on to computers half way around the world), I am trying to embrace eating In the Mediterranean Style. This is highly necessary because Peter's cooking is excellent and I could easily overeat every single day if we had homemade tomato soup, cottage pie, curries and homemade hamburgers everyday. And, it’s also a pleasure because everything is readily available for eating in this style, unsurprisingly, since we are just a few hours from the Mediterranean. I like to look at the MediterraneanAsian for inspiration. In many ways, eating the meals planned won't work for us but the pictures and info are very useful. After looking for inspiration and going to Real (grocery store) last night this was dinner: Mmm. The grain salad was from the deli section at the local grocery store and is bulgur, cilantro, tomatoes and spices to give it warmth but not too hot. And the white yogurt dip was also from the deli and is a spinach and dill yogurt dip. Yum! We just cut up some veggies and put some olives with it and poured two glasses of Skol beer and dinner was served!
Then...I made dessert :)

fridge... kiwi isn't really in season here nor are bananas and these are expensive compared to other things (e.g. 3 lemons cost .33 YTL, 4 sweet plums cost .46 YTL and 3 tomatoes tallies in at under .50 YTL while 2 bananas is 1.5o YTL) but they are familiar to me and I like to have bananas on my cereal in the morning. I am trying to make use of all of the seasonal things here like the melon pictured above and below - which is apparently a honeydew melon but interestingly, it doesn't look like honeydew I am used to... it is very good and juicy but not as sweet as what I would call honeydew and is more pale:


Plus, the rind doesn't look like Honeydew but it is very good all the same! The dessert then, was kiwi, banana and honeydew drizzled with honey (which is from one of Peter's students whose father is a police officer but he also keeps bees - we have five different types of honey in the pantry) and topped with crushed almonds and hazelnuts (findik). If the mint hadn't wilted, I would have put a sprig of fresh mint in the picture too! A lovely summery dessert In the Mediterranean Style :)

In other food/beverage news, Real has gotten in a shipment of filter coffee so I was able to buy something besides Starbucks! Real has all sorts of things including food, clothes, DVDs and air conditioners (like a Super Target) and most of the time, everything is in stock but things which are imported, like filter coffee (filtre khave) and frozen shrimp etc. are not always on the shelves. Anyway, the filter coffee we have now is Jacobs brand, which is very dark so I only need half of much of it compared with the measurement needed for Starbucks' brand. I am just a fussy American and can't handle those strong European coffees (let alone Turkish coffee! I have had it every now and then, but it's much too dark and ferocious to drink first thing in the morning!).

Last but not least, we are taking Turkish lessons for nearly three hours every weekday. Learning another language makes me sympathize with little kids who have a large repertoire of nouns and end up pointing a lot and saying words with pleading looks on their faces... or maybe that is just me as I try to learn a new language after my brain has lost all its language plasticity!

Gule Gule! (bye bye!)

6 comments:

Robin said...

Yum, food. The meal looked great (except for those nuts on the dessert!). Funny how names and prices are so different. And it looks like you are learning how to write in Turkish as well as speak it - good for you! Your photos look great and they make me wish I was there to partake in some Mediterranean cuisine and ginger beer!

Carley said...

yes, when you come to visit I will NOT put nuts on the dessert! I am learning to write Turkish - we even have to spell outloud and things - its not just that we are learning conversation - we are learning all about vowel harmony too! (certain endings follow certain vowels to presever the sound of things :). wish you were here for some ginger beer too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Carley, Can this be true? am I going to get through to you? I have tried blogging on here a couple of times to no avail. Anyway, I love your stories, and food stories are my favourite. It sounds like you are doing well and you should send us you postal address, how else are the coffee fairies going to find where you live?

Carley said...

carla,
of course you will get through to me! yes, the blog is working out for me and I am hoping to post things fairly regularly. i am doing well. am taking intensive turkish lesson right now which are very good. i will email you the address :) thanks for looking at my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

And so I took a superior Reisling and place a label: To Carley, in Ankara Turkey. Went to the ocean and through it in. But alas it sank.
So I wrote an ode:

The fair haired child born of the plains has left us for the exotic.
Her manner is different, her language as well, but her heart is still simple & pure.
Go forth my friend and see the world.
Our love from home will travel with the wind to carry and protect you.

I drank the wine and toasted to Carley, to friendship, to love. With a tear in my eye I rolled the ode, put it in the empty bottle and corked the bottle. With the courage that it would find Carley I threw it in the ocean and watched it float away until I no longer could see it.

Carley said...

sandy, i love the poem! it made me get a tear in MY eye. its beautiful. thank you!