27 July 2006

Knitting Rectangles

I still *only* knit rectangles. I say still because I caught the knitting bug from my good friend Robin over at Crafty Bird almost two years ago. And this project is straight from the Rowan Vintage Style book. I love this scarf. That is to say, I love what the scarf intimates to me in the picture from the book. An early fall day. The first scents of apples and pumpkin pie are noticeable in the air on the way home after a leisurely ramble. Home to some lovely little abode that is one of a few around a courtyard of beautifully converted stables. And the promise of a pint in the garden at the pub. Sigh. This is why I must make this scarf. But, I have been working on this scarf for a year and a half! I am not a fast knitter. And I haven’t progressed past rectangles…yet. (I did make a triangle shawl though.)

So here is Monette almost half way finished.



And here is a close up detail of the lace trim. I actually found knitting this part very rewarding after knitting and un-knitting it four times. It was the first hint of the magic of knitting (above and beyond: "Look what comes out of one piece of string!" after my first rectangle)that I felt as the yo/k2tg translated into something beautiful. I must remind myself of that when I start on the other side of the lace (since it’s been a year and half since I did that bit, I am sure I will knit and un-knit several times).



In other Rectangle Knitting News, while finishing my thesis I also started to knit a gift for the Paul-to-my-John-friend’s sister as a wedding gift. Note to self: do not attempt to knit and write a thesis at the same time. The stress of the thesis was directly translated into the piece of knitting. In the end, one side was much shorter than the other side (i.e. I cast off far fewer stitches than I cast on) and several repair sessions later it was better but definitely not wedding gift material. I was “following” a pattern from the LYS in Victoria when I decided I wanted more of a fishnet look.

Here is the result.



I like the scarf and have named it Mermaid. But, because it is wonky and sort of short and awkward, I am knitting a new scarf for the new Mrs. L.

I will keep Mermaid for myself as a souvenire of my thesis. Peter suggested we look for an antique silver napkin ring at a thrift store to use as a toggle for it…if that works out, I’ll post mermaid with some bling.

I am using the same yarn for the new scarf for Mrs. L minus the most fishnet-like one (which by the way is beautiful and from - Handmaiden yarns - as is the curly teal one used in both scarves).



And here is my progress so far. This time I am actually following the pattern much more closely and things are looking better. I also defended my thesis a few months ago so there is no transferable stress from that!



Those are my rectangles. I have another rectangle scarf project in the basket, as well, and I have one of the Devon hat kits from Handmaiden. Not a rectangle, exactly…. I did try to knit it last November without much success. It’s black yarn. I'll blame that unfinished project on dim winter light coupled with black yarn.

I am optimistic about these latest rectangles, though.

1 comment:

Robin said...

You should be optimistic! Your new shawl is looking fantastic and what a great idea to keep your "thesis shawl" for yourself as a little souvenir! Glad to see your progress on the stripey scarf - keep at it and you'll have a lovely scarf for winter.