12 September 2006

No Pictures

It has been too long but every time I sit down to write an entry, I try to put pictures in and get bogged down. I think I have run out of storage space for pictures and am now trying to negotiate Flickr. I wonder why they spelled it that way? As I am currently doing a lot of editing and focusing on writing skills, these sorts of questions nag at me. Maybe that was just the domain name available. Of course, I overthink and become paranoid thinking that I am missing some clever innuendo on their part(i.e. Flickr’s). Partly because Peter has brought home cryptic crosswords and keeps throwing out clues to me which require lateral thinking and being super subtle and clever that just frustrate me. For example, one Peter made up to illustrate cryptic crosswords:

Clue: No Turkish gentlemen do as they are told (5)

Answer: Obeys

or one he made for his social psych course:

Clue: Is cola shaken up? It is for your course! (6)

Answer: "is cola" is an anagram (shaken up) of SOCIAL

Have a look here on tips for doing CCs or just because you like wordplay.

Anyway, I am not good at these and while I like the “oh yeah, that makes sense” once someone gives me the answer, I am not compelled to ruminate on it waiting for my Aha! moment. Anyway, all this editing and cryptic crossword business has made me paranoid about words and meanings. And wish I were more attentive to my words. I think it is helping my academic writing though. The verdict is still out on that. So is the writing, actually.

In other news, things here, are…well, the semester is just starting. It’s hectic. The stress makes me miss the following things: beeswax candles, sweet potatoes, Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, Home and Garden TV, my personal bubble and organization. But, on the other hand, I am enjoying the fact that there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS fresh, hot tea on offer, my first tortoise sighting, making beaded earrings and going to a bar (The Papillion in Kızılay) where they play good, old school country with no embarrassment, pretense or line dancing. I think country music is the best drinking music, hands down. But only if you are with friends or a lover – alone it’s rather masochistic. Oh, and I like the fact that there is a wide range of coconut (hindistancevizi = Indian walnut) flavored products like pudding, ice cream, cake etc. since I love coconut.

Also, Ohio Sate beat Texas. I am not religious. But on my residence permit application they asked for religion – I almost put “Ohio State Buckeye” – but was worried I’d be called in for questioning and my Turkish just isn’t quite up to snuff for talking my way out of something like that. I do miss college football. I missed it in Canada too. The energy, the loyalty, the traditions and the possibilities that come with a new school year both for sports, but also academically and personally (not to mention new school supplies, new clothes, new chance to make impressions etc.). I miss my Dad shouting “interception fumble recovery” at the TV and my Mom being very laid back until a score and then sort of letting out a “whoo!” when there is a touchdown. And the snacks – yummy salsa and melted Velveeta with chips! There is an American style football team here, maybe I should check it out….

We’ve been eating really healthy, vegetarian food lately but in the middle of the night last night we decided to make burritos (for tonight’s dinner - not right then – that would have been like those days in college when you phone Fatty J’s for cheese sticks). Mmmm, Fatty J’s pizza. Mmmm. Since we can’t get the right kind of cheese here or sour cream, we’re going all out with the guacamole! Yay! I will never take burritos, or enchiladas or tamales for granted again!

Oh, and something I am hoping to post more on with pictures – there is an exhibit here about James Watson – a bit about his life and DNA and things – I didn’t get a chance to look at it too much, but the exhibit is from the States and Germany but the Turks have added an artistic component to it. So, there are gorgeous ottoman motifs that have historical significance that have been reworked to reflect the double helix, for example, and they are embroidered or made with mosaics and they are really, really lovely. And thought provoking. I hope to put a few pictures up… That is the best thing about being in a university setting – all the goings on that are free and insightful – they just seem to be difficult to find, or notice, or go and see since they are literally, right under your nose. Why does this happen? All the good stuff just lurks around while we look to other neighborhoods, cities or countries (or earth-like worlds) for the good stuff. And all along, the good stuff is just down the corridor.

I have been very busy and hence not posting. But I have been productive, although procrastinating too, but I am feeling like there may be some closure to some of my projects...soon.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Nice to hear from you! Let me know if you figure Flickr out - it's a good way to store your photos online for free.

I don't envy your immersion into the world of writing, but I know you will do well with that superb vocabulary of yours! As for the crosswords - that's a whole other ball game!

It sounds as if you have participated in some fun activities lately. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos!