10 March 2007

Shifting gears

We do our best in the housing the university has provided for us living with the white walls and beige furniture but since we are leaving in just over 3 months (!!!) I am allowing myself to get re-inspired for when we move back to Canada and things can be bought on Ebay and at thrift stores (I think I may have seen one thrift store here but I did not go in so I can't be sure).


I love the vintage-looking bedding on Anthropologie and have been spending a lot of time on Ebay lately so when I searched vintage quilts I was pleasantly surprised by some of the beautiful toppers available and not at anthropologie-astronomical prices:
I don't know how much this one went for but I really like the bright yellow...


This one really went up in price and eventaully sold for US 112. A bit high, but it is lovely so I put it up.
And this one went for US 18.50. One of the things I would like to do when we get back to Canada is to keep an eye on these and when the right one comes along at a price I can afford (the goal would be < US30), buy it and finish it. I have only made quilts twice in my life and that was when I lived at home and my Mom had a sewing machine and could help me both to focus and to finish it. Finishing projects is very hard for me - unless there is gratification fairly quickly - that is why I like to paint walls - so I thought buying a vintage quilt top would be a good compromise for me.

I have been looking at myriad vintage handbags too. I would like to post about all that I have learned about them (I have been a little bit obsessed) with some cool examples but that will have to wait.

I have also updated my links. I love reading about all of the ideas and things people are creating even though I myself am not creating very much over here. It keeps me excited and thinking about things I would like to do when I arrive back in a world that makes sense to me like this.

I have also added yoga blogs. Those seem more difficult to come by then crafty design type blogs. Or even personal finance blogs ( I have been reading a lot of those since a New York Times article came out a few weeks ago - I thought to link them but then felt it didn't really fit here). I don't know why this is. You can't quite share yoga the same way that you can design ideas but then again all communities help bolster productivity and activity so I would like to find more yoga blogs.

Anyway, I thought that blogging about yoga might help me in my practice and in really making it a part of my lifestyle. So, my intention is to blog more, particularly about yoga, and things which inspire me.

I had originally wanted to blog about living in Turkey but it just feels like a minefield for some reason (banning YouTube, sending people to prison for using addresses of respect to the wrong people, etc. etc.) and because generally things are very challenging here in a way that is hard to work through on a blog. So I will shift gears in preparation for moving to Canada and if we go on any trips, I'll post pictures as part of what inspires me.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Beautiful quilts! I always forget about ebay, althought I don't need another place to be wasting my time on the computer--got enough of those, thank you! I'm looking forward to your move to Canada as well. You'll still be far away, but a bit closer than Turkey!

I'm looking forward to your posts about yoga. I agree there are not enough yoga blogs.c