05 June 2007

The Best Intentions

Well, I had intended to post pictures of Istanbul… which I hope to still do but I will have to do it soon before we begin our around-the-world-move and things become chaotic.

I liked Istanbul, I think because people told me I would, but I LOVED the small town we visited as my birthday present: Selcuk. I wish now that we had had more time and money to explore the south coast of Turkey because I think we would have been pleasantly surprised. After visiting Selcuk, I can see why people would retire to Turkey (Ankara does not inspire retirement). The picture above is a close-up of some of the carving that was at St. John’s Basilica.
A handsome tortoise at St. Johns.

The jaw-dropping Library of Celsus.
A lion mosaic in the Terrace Houses. It was in a room with murals of different game birds on the wall. It looked like it could have been a stunning playroom.


Olive oil and olives for sale at Sirince. We had the best gozleme in this town at a garden eatery that served only gozleme (Turkish pancakes with filling) and ayran and tea. The view from this little place down a dirt track was stunning. The place was called Azrum Piknik Gozleme. Well worth the little walk off the beaten track.

And lastly, some of the storks on the aqueduct.

A marvelous trip, indeed. Turkey has been a challenge for me – which inspired me to start another blog on the subject of happiness – but visiting some place as warm, laid back and comfortable as Selcuk was truly a bright spot. Why oh why did they build this university in Ankara?! Although, I like Ankara better than Istanbul! Gasp! Its cleaner and more classy – not the same skyline to be sure, but for a small city girl like me (burbs of Denver) Ankara is easier to endure.

I hadn’t thought before that people should try to come to Turkey but really, I think a trip to see the south coast would be a good trip to plan for if people need holiday ideas!

2 comments:

Robin said...

I'm so glad you had a good trip! It looks stunning! And your blog is looking back to normal too.

I'm having a great time in Amsterdam. I'm heading home tomorrow so I should post this weekend about it all.

Carley said...

Hi RObin,

yes, the blog is recovering from my negligence. good thing it's not a live creature!

I can't wait to see your photos! travel safely!